Archer J. Maggott (portrayed by Telly Savalas) was a member of the Dirty Dozen team. Maggott considers himself a very religious man, using his religious beliefs to justify his racism and hatred (including rape) of women under the guise of wanting to rid the world of sinners and punish those who had acted against the ways of God. He has particular problems with Jefferson, who as a black man is his main target among the Dozen. Captain Kinder, after conducting interviews with each of the Dozen, identifies Maggott as the worst of the bunch and most likely to cause problems with the raid. At the time of the party near the end of training, Maggott is left on guard duty rather than being allowed to fraternize with the prostitutes brough to entertain then men (likely due to concerns that Maggott might rape, kill, or otherwise get violent with one or more of the women).
While Maggott trains with the group and nominally accepts having a role in the raid, at the chateau he kills a girl who stumbles across him in hiding and then turns on the Dozen, blowing their cover and threatening to kill Jefferson (who ultimately kills him in return).
- In the novel, Maggott was a bigot from Alabama who had preyed on servicemen.
- His traits were taken from prisoner and bible thumper Calvin Ezra Smith.
- Unlike in the film, Maggott survived the raid in the novel but was listed as Missing in Action.
- Telly Savalas was later cast into the last two Dirty Dozen TV movies as Major Wright.
- George Kennedy wanted to portray the role of Maggott but director Robert Aldrich suggested that the role of Major Ambruster was better.
- Maggott was bullied as a child due to his surname, which possibly lead to his growing insanity.